The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
about Database Technology
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
- How to reduce Buffer Busy Waits with Hash Partitioned Tables in #Oracle
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Common Users & SYSDBA with #Oracle 12c Multitenancy
- See & modify the attributes of Oracle Restart resources with crsctl
- Backup & Restore one Datafile in Parallel
- Important Statistics & Wait Events on Exadata
How to reduce Buffer… on How to reduce Buffer Busy Wait… Uwe Hermann on Exadata Part I: Smart Sca… Uwe Hesse on How Partial Indexing helps you… Uwe Hesse on #Oracle SQL Tuning Advisor on… Nazeem on #Oracle SQL Tuning Advisor on… Lisandro Fernigrini on How Partial Indexing helps you… John Kelly on How Partial Indexing helps you… Rene Jeruschkat on How to change RANGE- to INTERV… oraclebase on RMAN old feature: Restore data… Ahmed Nadeem on How to pass the #Oracle Databa… Uwe Hesse on Turning Flashback Database on… Oscar on Turning Flashback Database on…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3