The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- Retrieve old versions of procedures with Flashback Query
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- See & modify the attributes of Oracle Restart resources with crsctl
- The Data Guard Broker: Why it is recommended
- Common Users & SYSDBA with #Oracle 12c Multitenancy
- SQL*Plus output in nice HTML format
Nassou on When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDE… Ra'fat Haj Ali on Retrieve old versions of proce… Erin on Data Guard & Oracle Restar… Diana on Oracle Database whoami Uwe Hesse on Index Competition in #Oracle… ferny on Index Competition in #Oracle… Arpit Agrawal on Data Redaction and Data Pump i… liviu on Data Redaction and Data Pump i… Darsh on adrci: A survival guide for th… Prathap on Retrieve old versions of proce… Hanno Ernst on Create a SQL Profile to let th… Tom Warsinske on Fine Grained Access Control wi…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3