The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
about Database Technology
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
- 2,213,677 hits
- How to change the size of Online Redologs?
- Speed up Import with TRANSFORM=DISABLE_ARCHIVE_LOGGING in #Oracle 12c
- How to reinstate the old Primary as a Standby after Failover in #Oracle
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- How to fix a problem with the spfile in #Oracle
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- orapwd gives OPW-00029 Password complexity failed in #Oracle 12.2
- Important Statistics & Wait Events on Exadata
- How to speed up Data Pump Import by suppressing redo generation in #Oracle 12c
- Let the Data Guard Broker control LOG_ARCHIVE_* parameters!
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR AWS Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Cloud Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Exasol Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability Hyper-V ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 partitioning Performance Tuning PostgreSQL PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess troubleshooting ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3