The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- How to speed up Data Pump Import by suppressing redo generation in #Oracle 12c
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- The Data Guard Broker: Why it is recommended
- See & modify the attributes of Oracle Restart resources with crsctl
- Speed up Import with TRANSFORM=DISABLE_ARCHIVE_LOGGING in #Oracle 12c
- Dealing with Oracle Database Block Corruption in 11g
- Auditing ALTER SYSTEM commands
Hanno Ernst on How to speed up Data Pump Impo… Lukasz Zegar on How to speed up Data Pump Impo… Hanno Ernst on How to speed up Data Pump Impo… pdsmith69 on How to speed up Data Pump Impo… How to speed up Data… on How do NOLOGGING operations af… kouss on Reorganizing Tables in Oracle… fouedgray on FASTSYNC Redo Transport for Da… Robert Koltai on FASTSYNC Redo Transport for Da… rajat sharma on Exadata Quarter Rack Architect… VIJAY on Connect Time Failover & Tr… VIJAY on Connect Time Failover & Tr… Uwe Hesse on How to do PDB PITR in #Oracle…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3