The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Windows 7 error "key not valid for use in specified state"
- Dealing with Oracle Database Block Corruption in 11g
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- The Recovery Area: Why it is recommended
- Common Users & SYSDBA with #Oracle 12c Multitenancy
- The Data Guard Broker: Why it is recommended
Hanno Ernst on Create a SQL Profile to let th… Tom Warsinske on Fine Grained Access Control wi… Aníbal Gattás on Create a SQL Profile to let th… Hanno Ernst on Create a SQL Profile to let th… Stefan Koehler on The Data Guard Broker: Why it… Robin Chatterjee (@r… on Why Write-Through is still the… Robin Chatterjee (@r… on Why Write-Through is still the… Balwant on Auto DOP: Differences of paral… Bill Fogarty on The Recovery Area: Why it is… Saili on Dealing with Oracle Database B… santosh on Purpose of the Voting Disk for… DLivingston on The Data Guard Broker: Why it…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3