The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
about Database Technology
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
- 2,028,814 hits
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- How to change the size of Online Redologs?
- Account locking in an Active Data Guard environment
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- Accelerate your #BI Performance with #Exasol
- How to change RANGE- to INTERVAL-Partitioning in #Oracle
- See & modify the attributes of Oracle Restart resources with crsctl
- How to reinstate the old Primary as a Standby after Failover in #Oracle
- Speed up Import with TRANSFORM=DISABLE_ARCHIVE_LOGGING in #Oracle 12c
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Exasol Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess troubleshooting ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3
Sai Prathyush on Account locking in an Active D… M. Hens. on Installing an #Exasol 6.1 Clus… Uwe Hesse on Exadata Part I: Smart Sca… kwan on Exadata Part I: Smart Sca… jjduru on How to change the size of Onli… Yasir on What is #Exasol? Uwe Hesse on How Partial Indexing helps you… PetrS on How Partial Indexing helps you… M.H. on How to do EXPORT / IMPORT betw… Uwe Hesse on Fast-Start Failover for Maximu… Raul Kaubi on Fast-Start Failover for Maximu… Uwe Hesse on Easy way to create large demo-…