The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
about Database Technology
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
- 1,723,175 hits
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- How to change the size of Online Redologs?
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Common Users & SYSDBA with #Oracle 12c Multitenancy
- Using Flashback in a Data Guard Environment
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- Speed up Import with TRANSFORM=DISABLE_ARCHIVE_LOGGING in #Oracle 12c
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- #Oracle SQL Tuning Advisor on the Command Line
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess troubleshooting ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3
Daren on Speed up Import with TRANSFORM… oraclenerd on Adding Tablespaces/Datafiles w… Saeed on Dealing with Oracle Database B… Saeed on Dealing with Oracle Database B… Mark Miller on Transport Tablespace using RMA… VIJAY HINDURAO SHITO… on Exadata Quarter Rack Architect… How do Nologging Ope… on How do NOLOGGING operations af… ynixon on Connect Time Failover & Tr… ynixon on Use RMAN to create your standb… Grzegorz Goryszewski on Combining Resource Consumer Gr… Peter on adrci: A survival guide for th… Peter on adrci: A survival guide for th…