Restore datafile from service: A cool #Oracle 12c Feature

You can restore a datafile directly from a physical standby database to the primary. Over the network. With compressed backupsets. How cool is that?

Here’s a demo from my present class Oracle Database 12c: Data Guard Administration. prima is the primary database on host01, physt is a physical standby database on host03. There is an Oracle Net configuration on both hosts that enable host01 to tnsping physt and host03 to tnsping prima

[oracle@host01 ~]$ rman target sys/oracle@prima

Recovery Manager: Release 12.1.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Jul 2 16:43:39 2014

Copyright (c) 1982, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates.  All rights reserved.

connected to target database: PRIMA (DBID=2084081935)

RMAN> run
{
set newname for datafile 4 to '/home/oracle/stage/users01.dbf';
restore (datafile 4 from service physt) using compressed backupset;
catalog datafilecopy '/home/oracle/stage/users01.dbf';
}

executing command: SET NEWNAME

Starting restore at 02-JUL-14
using target database control file instead of recovery catalog
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: SID=47 device type=DISK

channel ORA_DISK_1: starting datafile backup set restore
channel ORA_DISK_1: using compressed network backup set from service physt
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying datafile(s) to restore from backup set
channel ORA_DISK_1: restoring datafile 00004 to /home/oracle/stage/users01.dbf
channel ORA_DISK_1: restore complete, elapsed time: 00:00:07
Finished restore at 02-JUL-14

cataloged datafile copy
datafile copy file name=/home/oracle/stage/users01.dbf RECID=8 STAMP=851877850

This does not require backups taken on the physical standby database.

About these ads

, ,

1. #1 by Karlheinz on July 4, 2014 - 07:16

Hello Uwe, thats a really nice feature ! Is this functionality also useable if there is a ASM storage behind and you are using OMF filenames instead of “regular” filenames ? Thanks ! Best regards, Karlheinz

2. #2 by clash of clans cheats samsung galaxy s3 on August 7, 2014 - 13:13

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping
    maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and
    I look forward to your new updates.

3. #3 by http://wild-rmy5z.fenkz.org/ on August 22, 2014 - 18:42

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog
    has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced
    but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web
    without my agreement. Do you know any ways to help stop content from
    being stolen? I’d really appreciate it.

4. #4 by Swamp Attack Hack on August 22, 2014 - 22:04

destinia cheat

5. #5 by steam sauna shower units on August 23, 2014 - 13:38

Amazing site a large amount of tremendous steam shower knowledge here