Exadata Quarter Rack Architecture Picture

The great success of my 11gR2 RAC Architecture picture encouraged me to publish this sketch that I have developed for an Exadata Storage Server Seminar LVC. In my opinion, a little visualization like that is helpful for many attendees to understand the relations of the various components easier. What do you think?

Addendum: The corporation kindly offered to translate my above amateurish sketch into a professional graphic which I gladly accepted. See the brushed up sketch below:

That does look really cool, doesn’t it? :-)

About these ads

1. #1 by Aman.... on December 2, 2011 - 12:15

Wow, excellent Uwe and I am really thinking to make more “neat” diagrams in my sessions too so that I can post them too :) .

2. #2 by Amardeep Sidhu on December 2, 2011 - 12:17

Cool…simple and informative !

Cheers !

3. #3 by Uwe Hesse on December 2, 2011 - 12:19

Thank you, Aman! That is at least one advantage that computer scratches have upon using a real whiteboard: It is easier to post them. Well, and in my case, the writing is better readable too this way :-)

4. #4 by nassyambasha on December 2, 2011 - 12:26

Looks, Much difference in comparing with RAC on SAN & with Exadata. Can we find any more detailed description on architecture?
    Thanks.

5. #5 by Uwe Hesse on December 2, 2011 - 12:32

Amardeep: Thank you for the nice feedback!

nassyambasha: You may look at links list to the right, especially

Also, on my dedicated Exadata page:

There you will see amongst others an OU course that goes into much more details:

6. #6 by Albert Spijkers on December 3, 2011 - 14:25

Great picture and good resolution. Gives a nice schematic overview of the Exadata Architecture!

7. #7 by Dan on December 15, 2011 - 14:54

Uwe, there’s the second version of the Exadata workshop, available here (LVC):

Cheers,
    Dan

8. #8 by Uwe Hesse on December 15, 2011 - 15:43

Dan, thank you for the information. I have updated my Exadata page with the link to the new
    (4 days) Workshop:

9. #9 by Frederic on December 19, 2011 - 06:49

Cool. Thanks Uwe

10. #10 by Ravi Swaminathan on January 18, 2012 - 04:20

Great picture , thanks very informative .

The dual port NIC cards on the DB nodes show one active one passive one active interface to
    the leaf switches , these I believe for iDB calls to the storage cells , Is that right ?

Which ones are the private interconnect ?

TIA

11. #11 by Uwe Hesse on January 18, 2012 - 10:14

It may be surprising (because we always recommend against it in ordinary RAC configurations), but there is no PRIVATE interconnect on Exadata.

Instead, the Database Nodes use the same Network as Interconnect that is also used to connect to the storage servers. The Infiniband network is so fast that it is no problem in this case

12. #12 by Mohammed Alorainy on June 24, 2012 - 10:33

Thanks for the simple explanation. I wish you expanded that to:
    1. how to upgrade to 1/2, full, & multiple RACs
    2. how to connect the Exadata machine in the data center.

Thanks again that was good

13. #13 by Qingli Song (@QingliSong) on June 3, 2013 - 10:37

Hi Uwe,

ExadataViewer is a Exadata performance monitoring software. Thare is also a Exadata architecture diagram in Exadataviewer.
    ExadataViewer can also help to observe smart scan offload statistics and physical I/O dataflow in a graphical view.

Would you please have a try and give your professional feedback.
    Thanks.

14. #14 by Qingli Song (@QingliSong) on June 3, 2013 - 10:42

addition:
    You can download ExadataViewer from http://www.exadataviewer.com

15. #15 by Uwe Hesse on June 13, 2013 - 10:10

Hi Qingli Song, apart from our Standard GUI Enterprise Manager that also has ways to monitor Exadata very comfortable, your tool looks quite interesting, but I presently just don’t have the time to have a closer look. Thank you for mentioning it here, though :-)

16. #16 by A K on September 17, 2013 - 07:25

HI Qingli,

I have seen the demo of your tool. It’s seems very interesting. I am going to try it on my machine. :)

Thanks

17. #17 by Wayne on November 26, 2014 - 21:11

Is the leaf switch the Infiniband switch?