The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Voting Disk and OCR in 11gR2: Some changes
- Data Guard
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Dealing with Oracle Database Block Corruption in 11g
- Connect Time Failover & Transparent Application Failover for Data Guard
- How do NOLOGGING operations affect RECOVERY?
laurentschneider on SQL*Plus output in nice HTML… Antonio on SQL*Plus output in nice HTML… Azhar Syed on Restrict the usage of new exec… srinivas on Brief introduction into Materi… ursvenkat on DIFF_TABLE_STATS_IN_HISTORY Ex… santoshi on Brief introduction into Materi… Karlheinz on Restore datafile from service:… Restore datafile fro… on Backup & Restore one Dataf… mwasiq on The Data Guard Broker: Why it… Rajeev on After Test-Failover, make NEW… Abdul Nisar on How to change the size of Onli… Ranjeet patil on Replacing a damaged Hard Disk…
Search inside this Blog
- #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 partitioning Performance Tuning RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3