The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Windows 7 error "key not valid for use in specified state"
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Retrieve SQL and Execution Plan from AWR Snapshots
- Voting Disk and OCR in 11gR2: Some changes
- Partitioning a table online with DBMS_REDEFINITION
- Common Users & SYSDBA with #Oracle 12c Multitenancy
Managing & Troub… on Exadata Patching Introduction fouedgray on The Recovery Area: Why it is… Ahmed on The Recovery Area: Why it is… Mikhail on Turning Flashback Database on… Anuj Sharma on Real-Time Query and Automatic… Santosh Loke on adrci: A survival guide for th… ranjan on adrci: A survival guide for th… Anvi on Brief introduction into Materi… Entry Level Oracle D… on adrci: A survival guide for th… Nel on Auto DOP: Differences of paral… Mubarak Ginawi on Voting Disk and OCR in 11gR2:… HOWTO create SR with… on adrci: A survival guide for th…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3