The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Windows 7 error "key not valid for use in specified state"
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Voting Disk and OCR in 11gR2: Some changes
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- The Data Guard Broker: Why it is recommended
- Partitioning a table online with DBMS_REDEFINITION
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Backup & Restore one Datafile in Parallel
HOWTO create SR with… on adrci: A survival guide for th… Sarwar Hossain on Less Performance Impact with U… ratish on Windows 7 error “key not… Kate JI on Important Statistics & Wai… lol with miley cyrus… on Turning Flashback Database on… Sumit on The Data Guard Broker: Why it… Paul Dubar on Let the Data Guard Broker cont… Kumar on Brief introduction into Materi… Gary on After Test-Failover, make NEW… devpriyo on Brief introduction into Materi… Raju Krishnan on Replacing a damaged Hard Disk… Mike Kim on Exadata Part III: Compres…
Search inside this Blog
- #DOAG2014 #KB2918614 #ougn2015 #ukoug_tech13 #ukoug_tech14 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Database Control Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli Digital Learning DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Multitenant NYOUG Oracle Certification Oracle Enterprise Manager Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 OU Streams partitioning Performance Tuning PracticalGuide RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3