The initialization parameter OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ has a certain popularity in the area of Oracle Database Performance Tuning. Especially, it can be used to make the Optimizer favor index access instead of full table scans. But that is not necessarily appropriate – in fact it can have very counterproductive effects on performance. Richard Foote has some very instructive postings about this, especially this one is impressive, in my view.
Explain, Exemplify, Empower
When is setting OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ appropriate?
Uwe Hesse, OCM
- adrci: A survival guide for the DBA
- Voting Disk and OCR in 11gR2: Some changes
- SQL*Plus output in nice HTML format
- Brief introduction into Materialized Views
- Reorganizing Tables in Oracle - is it worth the effort?
- Turning Flashback Database on & off with Instance in Status OPEN
- Data Guard
- 11gR2 RAC Architecture Picture
- Connect Time Failover & Transparent Application Failover for Data Guard
Uwe Hesse on SQL*Plus output in nice HTML… bharath. Panuganti on SQL*Plus output in nice HTML… Iudith Mentzel on Materialized Views & Parti… Susanne on Connect Time Failover & Tr… Uwe Hesse on Materialized Views & Parti… Uwe Hesse on Connect Time Failover & Tr… Ammar Semle on No DISK_REPAIR_TIME on Exadata… Riya on Connect Time Failover & Tr… Edmilson on DBMS_COMPRESSION Example dadbm on DIFF_TABLE_STATS_IN_HISTORY Ex… Iudith Mentzel on Materialized Views & Parti… Aditya D on Materialized Views & Parti…
Search inside this Blog
- #ukoug_tech13 3e 10g New Features 11g New Features 12c New Features ABMR Active Data Guard ADO adrci advert ASM auditing AWR Backup & Recovery Brief Introduction Data Guard Data Warehouse DBA JTA dbms_monitor dbms_redefinition DBMS_RLS dcli DOAG2013 exadata Extended RAC external tables fine grained access control flashback flash cache griddisk Grid Infrastructure hcc High Availability ILM logminer LVC Materialized Views Oracle Restart oracle university OU EMEA Newsletter OUG Ireland 2014 OUGN2012 partitioning Performance Tuning RAC Real-Time Query reorganizing RMAN security services smart scan Snapshot Standby storage index TOD Total Recall tracing trcsess ukoug2012 video vpd Webinar whoami X3