Resizing datafiles with Data Guard in place

This week, I am in Kista (Sweden, near Stockholm) teaching an 11g Data Guard course. Boy, I love my job! Not only does it give me the opportunity to talk to intelligent, open minded people, I can also travel through the world and visit interesting countries  -not to mention, that I can make a living from it :-)

One of the students asked, whether a resize of a datafile on the primary database would also be reproduced at the standby database – and then simply tested it live to see that it is actually done. That is the good thing about having courses with practices: You can simply try out things and don’t have to speculate about it.

Thanks to Niklas Isaksson for pointing out, that a resize of datafiles on the primary is reproduced on the standby! To be honest, I wasn’t sure about that, but now I am :-)

About these ads

1. #1 by sunilbhola on July 7, 2010 - 07:09

Operation that propagate from production to standby:-
    1) resize datafile
    2) dropping tablespace with include datafile

Operation that NOT propagate from production to standby:-
    1) Rename tablespace
    2) Dropping datafile from tablespace on production

2. #2 by sunilbhola on July 8, 2010 - 14:41

Below error comes up when you are modifying the file size or other parameters in READ ONLY MODE.

ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcvrsz_01], [19], [100], [], [], [], [], []

3. #3 by Uwe Hesse on July 8, 2010 - 16:06

Thank you for sharing that! Presently, I just don’t have the time to reproduce that and will just believe you :-)

4. #4 by sunilbhola on February 10, 2011 - 06:45

- Errors in file /opt/oracle/admin/WWKA_RPT/udump/wwka_rpt_ora_25934.trc:
    – ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcvrsz_01], [1
    - 9], [100], [], [], [], [], []
    – ORA-600 signalled during: alter database datafile ‘/oradata/WWKA_RPT/data0
    – 8/…
    – Errors in file /opt/oracle/admin/WWKA_RPT/udump/wwka_rpt_ora_25934.trc:
    – ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [kcvrsz_0
    - 1], [18], [100], [], [], [], [], []
    – ORA-600 signalled during: alter database datafile ‘/oradata/WWKA_RPT
    – /data08/…

This error comes up when you are modifying the file size in READ ONLY MODE.

5. #5 by Michael Seberg on March 31, 2011 - 23:00

Never thought to test this before. Decided to set standby_file_management to manual and test. Still works at least on 11.2.0.1. Thanks for keeping me thinking Uwe!

6. #6 by Uwe Hesse on April 1, 2011 - 08:56

Michael,
    you’re welcome :-)
    Thank you for your positive feedback!